First, the annual RTMC Astronomy Expo and the Big Bear Starlight Festival.
The Big Bear Lake region is hosting two major astronomy events during the long Memorial Day weekend in 2014. The RTMC Astronomy Expo, held since 1975, and the first Starlight Festival to Big Bear Lake’s Village area.
Beginning to advanced amateur astronomers will want to attend the RTMC Astronomy Expo from Thursday to Monday to:
- observing or taking astrophotos from the dark sky of YMCA Camp Oakes,
- see new developments in amateur telescope making,
- check out commercial telescopes and equipment brought by vendors for observers,
- listen to presentations covering observing, telescopes, and getting started in astronomy,
- check out the Saturday swap meet, and
- socialize and observe with friends
On Saturday and Sunday, weekend visitors to Big Bear, of all ages, will learn more about astronomy and outdoor sciences at the Astronomy Outreach Network¡¯s Starlight Festival at Big Bear Lake’s Village for:
- visiting with the sidewalk astronomers,
- seeing exhibits by the Big Bear Solar Observatory, US National Forest Service, and others,
- seeing commercial exhibits of science instruments, games, and activities, and
- attending presentations on the current state of astronomy and space science
Come join the fun and learn about the universe your way.
Next is not really astronomy related, but it is still fun. The Towne Singers (1987-2014) are holding a 2014 Spring Concert called “Celestial Songbook, Everthing Under the Stars.”
The Towne Singers are a community chorus open to people of all ages and background that like to sing. The concert will be held on May 17th, 2014 at 7:00 pm, at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center, 188 Campus Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007.
Adult tickets – $20
Child ticket – $10 (under 11 years of age)
Group Rate – $15 per ticket for 10 or more tickets
I hope that you will all be able to attend some of these fantastic events here in Southern California this month.
– Ex astris, scientia –
I am and avid amateur astronomer and intellectual property attorney in Pasadena, California and I am a Rising Star as rated by Super Lawyers Magazine. As a former Chief Petty Officer in the U.S. Navy, I am a proud member of the Armed Service Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association working to aid all active duty and veterans in our communities. Connect with me on Google +